The RequirementsTo be a strong fit for the Associate Bakery Director opportunity, you will have:
- A bachelor’s degree in Business, Engineering, Operations Management, Finance or other relevant focus (highly preferred) and 5 years of food manufacturing experience OR
- An associate's degree in Business, Engineering, Operations Management, Finance or other relevant focus and 7 years of food manufacturing experience
- Strong managerial and team building skills
- Excellent leadership skills; the ability to influence, empower and energize others
- General knowledge of process equipment and regulatory compliance; exposure to machine reliability issues
- Basic P&L and budgeting experience; solid math skills and basic accounting knowledge
- Computer literacy including MS Office Suite (e.g. Excel, Word, PowerPoint); SAP experience is a plus
- Excellent interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and critical thinking ability
- Ability to lift/carry up to 50 pounds with or without assistance
- Ability to travel, including some overnights, up to 10%, especially during initial training
- To meet the basic qualification for this role, you must be legally authorized to work permanently in the U.S. for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship
- Food Manufacturing background, ideally cookie, muffin and/or bread
- Experience supporting and supervising all production departments
- Lean Six Sigma or other relevant Continuous Improvement training is a plus
- Strong presentation skills
Note: Qualified candidates will be required to pass a background check.
The RoleOpportunity Snapshot
Reporting to the Bakery Director, as Associate Bakery Director, you will oversee all production related departments including Production, Packaging, Hygiene, Warehouse, and Maintenance, and be responsible for the day-to-day food production tasks.
Your mission will be to ensure the bakery produces and delivers the highest quality food at the lowest possible cost. To meet your mission, you will work closely with the Bakery Director and a team of onsite managers responsible for production operations.
Cayce is a large, non-union bakery with approximately 400 employees, flexing to 450 as needed. We are currently running three shifts on five lines six days per week (M-S). Maintenance works seven days per week, with others may work Sunday as needed to meet expectations. We have two sheeted frozen dough lines, two frozen cookie lines, and one fully baked muffin line producing products for both our US Baking Solutions and US Consumer Foods divisions (branded products and QSRs).
In addition to the Bakery Director and yourself, the leadership team includes three Production Managers and managers in charge of maintenance, shipping/receiving, hygiene, food safety, and QA. We also have an onsite Controller, FSQA Manager, and HR Manager. It's a strong team but there's still plenty of room for improvement and you'll have the chance to make an impact in multiple areas. The Bakery Director is also new to the Cayce bakery, however, he's had strong success in other ARYZTA bakeries, progressing to the top role at our largest facility. With the right Associate Director helping him, we expect a continuous improvement approach to making the bakery even better.
On a daily basis, you will serve as the right hand to the Bakery Director, taking ownership of essential production tasks throughout the facility. You will also directly manage three Production Managers who are responsible for supervising the floor staff. Once you are fully acclimated to your role, you could supervise additional managers, such as Hygiene and Maintenance Managers.
As Associate Bakery Director, you will be fully accountable for meeting plant volume and operating objectives. You will develop and implement strategies, processes, and programs that support ARYZTA systems in order to ensure compliance with company requirements and to meet goals for servicing the customer. Specifically, you will:
- Lead teams to deliver and exceed performance metrics in areas of:
- Employee safety
- Food quality
- Customer satisfaction
- Production yields
- Labor costs
- Production costs (reduction in overall downtime and waste)
- Production schedule adherence
- Housekeeping conditions
- Continuous employee training
- Ensure compliance with all safety, Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs), regulatory and company policies
- Ensuring bakery safety and security meets/exceeds established goals for food quality specifications, KPIs, budgets, employee training and employee safety
- Ensure inspection audit readiness at all times
- Drive quality improvements and initiatives through functional team leadership
- Oversee the coordination and scheduling of all departments to meet planning demand levels
- Review Key Performance Indicator (KPI) statistics; provide weekly reports with detailed commentary; include an action plan for needed remediation
- Assist with the annual budget process
- Monitor and control the labor budget and departmental spend throughout the fiscal year
- Provide and support employee performance management with recognition, rewards, and resources that are focused on the development, motivation and engagement of all employees
- Support the ARYZTA Core Values philosophy
- Support indirect departments to ensure compliance, to include Food Safety & Quality Assurance, Environmental Health & Safety, and Human Resources
More Good ReasonsThe Best-of-Both-Worlds
At ARYZTA, you will enjoy a strong foundation and history of success built over generations by 10 legacy companies, alongside the entrepreneurial energy and fresh insights of ARYZTA, who has been managing those brands for just 5 years. We take a startup approach to our work. Though we're far outside the risk of a start-up, we take a start-up approach to meeting our responsibilities and developing our bench strength. No one is siloed at ARYZTA.
Compensation & Benefits
In addition to competitive compensation and a bonus opportunity, you will enjoy a strong benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and other insurances, a bakery profit-sharing plan, a 401(k) plan with immediately vested company match, paid time off, parental leave, a tuition reimbursement program and more.
Work Beyond the Day-to-Day
Because this is the largest bakery in North America, there are lots of things happening outside of daily production. For example, you will have the opportunity to do customer tours and presentations; every major test happens here; you may even be involved in a new product launch! It could take you 15 years at a lot of different bakeries to get the same experience you can pick up in Cayce in just a couple of years.
A Company That Invests in Itself
ARYZTA is one of the largest bakery companies in the world. Our mission is to deliver the best possible food so we've built a supply chain that cares about quality, we invest in our company and properties year-over-year, and hire people who are passionate, dedicated and committed to adding value. If that sounds like you, you'll fit right in.
Pictured: A few of our fine brands.
Keys to SuccessThis is a strong bakery, but there's plenty of room for improvement. You will bring dynamic energy and drive our operation forward in partnership with the Bakery Director. While you'll take full ownership of your role, you will also keep the Bakery Director in the loop.
Naturally, there will be KPIs that demonstrate quantifiable success, e.g. employee turnover, gross margin, year-over-year growth, equipment uptime, P&L, etc., but total success will require more than KPI achievement. The leader who will excel in this plant will be highly visible and engaged. S/he will be out on the floor and in leadership meetings encouraging employees, supervisors and managers to achieve more. We're looking for a leader who will drive operations while pushing the team in the right way and inspiring them to grow and develop.