The RequirementsThe ideal candidate for this role is an experienced financial professional whose goal is to build a long-range career with ARYZTA. S/he will leave a strong fingerprint on the DVP role over the next few years, but ultimately see it as a stepping stone role and strong learning platform for growing with the company. Though we're far outside the risk of a start-up, we take a start-up approach to meeting our responsibilities and developing our bench strength. No one is siloed at ARYZTA.
To be a strong fit for the Divisional Vice President Finance opportunity, you will have:
- 10+ years of relevant finance experience
- A bachelor's degree required; master's degree preferred
- Advanced knowledge of P&L and other financial statements; reporting
- Strong computer skills including deep knowledge and experience with SAP or other large ERP (a deep understanding of data structure); Microsoft Office applications, particularly advanced Excel skills
- Ability to travel up to 25% (typically 3-5 days per month), primarily to San Leandro and Chicago. Initial travel will be higher as you are training and building relationships throughout the company
- A master's degree; relevant certifications
- CPG / Food company experience
- Relevant experience with perishable products and/or within manufacturing environments a plus
- Pricing and trade management experience is a plus
- Excellent communication and presentation skills; the ability to succinctly present complex information to varying levels of leadership
- Demonstrated ability to quickly understand complex business issues and develop and communicate sound analyses with moderate direction
- A strong team orientation; the ability to work well across organizations and with multi-functional teams
- Self-starter / self-motivated; the drive to take ownership of your learning and responsibilities
- Quick and thorough learner
The RoleRole Overview
Reporting directly to the SVP, Finance, you will take ownership of a unique, divisional controller position for the Consumer Food Business Unit (one of five). The division currently has a $1.2 billion top line, driven by a sales force selling through the retail channel.
You will act as a business partner to the SVP, Finance and work to protect the business unit by providing key insights to the building blocks that will sustain the division and help it grow. Your primary accountabilities will fall into two key areas with both strategic and tactical responsibilities. You will:
- Support the SVP, Finance in reporting, forecasting and analyzing the Consumer Foods Business Unit P&L
- Work extensively on month and year end close, budget, internal audit, balance sheet, cash generation, capital expenditure and overall spend control, and major issue identification and resolution
The Americas Structure includes five operating Business Units: Brazil, Canada, Brand, ARYZTA US Baking Solutions and ARYZTA US Consumer Foods, which are serviced by five Americas Central Support Functions covering areas such as Food Safety & Quality Assurance, Environmental Health & Safety, Sustainability, HR, Legal, IT, Finance Shared Services, Procurement, Category Management, and Commercialization.
This is a unique role. On one hand, it's a controller position, but without AP/AR or payroll oversight, and on the other, it's similar to a corporate controller, but with an interesting twist because of the shared services element. It is a project driven, independent contributor role that is ultimately responsible for keeping the business safe by managing the P&L for the business unit, ensuring controls are in place and managing monthly processing. It is an active hands-on role involved at a high level, not with the day-to-day transactions. Each bakery has their own controller and your efforts in looking for trends, reviewing data, forecasting, etc. will determine how each bakery can be more successful.
As Divisional Vice President Finance, your specific tasks will include:
- Guiding financial decisions by monitoring, and enforcing policies and procedures
- Ensuring adherence to ARYZTA Group Finance Policies and Procedures
- Managing internal audits including scoping, disclosures, closing meeting and finalizing agreed reports and closing open points
- Tracking capital expenditures and performance
- Leading monthly and quarterly business unit financial review meetings
- Monitoring and controlling business unit spend by reporting and working with business unit leaders
- Facilitating budget preparation by developing and adhering to timelines and collecting, analyzing, and consolidating financial data
- Ensuring internal control compliance
- Managing business unit month end close process, including approval of journal entries and period end sign off
- Facilitating review and analysis on variances to budget, prior year and forecast
- Reviewing period end balance sheets for unusual variances from prior periods and prior year
- Ensuring business unit meets Working Capital and Cash Flow targets
- Preparing and presenting weekly and monthly P&L summary
- Reviewing monthly cost center reports
More Good ReasonsThe Best-of-Both-Worlds
You will enjoy a strong foundation and history of success built over generations by 10 legacy companies, alongside the entrepreneurial energy and fresh insights of ARYZTA, who has been managing those brands for just 5 years. We take a startup approach to our work.
In Los Angeles, we have approximately 75 people, including the majority of our executive leadership. In addition to the SVP, Finance, you will work with the Division President, Regional COO and leadership for the Americas. You will also enjoy exposure across our other divisions.
Stretch & Work to the Top of Your Finance Skill-Set
This role offers the opportunity to stretch and grow your skills. You are bound to add new skills and enhance your experience in multiple areas. And, you'll enjoy working in a very strong finance organization. In fact, a number of our successful leaders, including the Division President, came up through Finance.
This is LA, so people like to beat the traffic. We’re typically well-staffed and busy by 6 a.m. and see people heading home in the afternoon. You will enjoy some flexibility in your schedule, though you should expect hours to ebb and flow depending on the time of month and projects underway. We tend to take a proactive do-what-it-takes approach to our work.
While we’re “button-down” in our professionalism – ours is an environment where we schedule time on calendars rather than have impromptu meetings, for example – our environment is business casual with casual Friday. We also have a strong commitment to community service, and you will have the opportunity to give back should you choose.
Compensation & Benefits
In addition to competitive compensation and a bonus opportunity, you will enjoy a strong benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and other insurances, a 401(k) plan with immediately vested company match, paid time off, parental leave, a tuition reimbursement program and more.
Pictured: A few of our fine brands.
Keys to SuccessThose who are successful at ARYZTA see ways to add value. We look for process improvers who understand the big picture and sharpen their insights through the details.
In addition, to be an outstanding DVP, you will be:
- Self-motivated. You will take control of your learning, especially if you have no background in CPG or food industries, and start making an impact early on
- A strong communicator. You will be assertive and succinctly make your points while also having respect for the role and audience
- Achieve objectives. You will take ownership of your projects, delivering quality work on time.
- Independent. You will see what needs to be done and do it rather than waiting for extensive guidance.
- A team player. You will build relationships, earn credibility and a reputation for reliability; work without pretense or ego – every level gets in the weeds
- Disciplined and process oriented